Saturday, March 16, 2013

Update: Plant Houzing


After a week at Lonny's greenhouse my plants are doing beautifully.
However, they are still smaller than I anticipated. I guess I hadn't been watering them enough, so maybe more water will allow more growth in these coming months. I've been wondering how to factor this in my permanent housing design. Originally I anticipated that the plants would grow to be around 3 ft, but from the rate they're growing at I don't see that happening any time soon. This makes me question if my greenhouse design can be shorter.
Another consideration i have in the new housing design is the incorporation of butterflies. They're relatively inexpensive, about $2 each, and I think they would add an interesting element to the greenhouse. This would mean incorporating insect nets and plenty of air circulation in the housing, while also trapping heat. 

Materials
For the clear greenhouse cage I already have the clear plastic material, somewhat like the material in a shower curtain. I would like to use whatever material I already have, but I am worried that this plastic would appear unfinished. I've considered solving this problem through constructing some type of wire cage or piping that would slide into a sewn structure in the material. Another option would be either glass or plastic. Acrylic sheet that can be cut with the lazer cutter would be ideal because of the time saved and  precision through using the cutter. 
I've made a rough drawing on Rhino to illustrate a possible form my terrarium might take. 
Perspective View

Top View

Top, Perspective, Front, Right Views
I haven't figured out how to render everything I intend in my design on Rhino. I'd like to include a door through which I can water the plants. The top part would also be removable so the plant housing could be used in the summer too when the weather gets warm. I would also create a mechanism with an insect screen at the top if I were to include the butterflies in my design. I have yet to talk to Jan Henrik about my design but I plan on consulting him before I pursue it fully. I'm also not sold on this design yet and am exploring using recycled material. 




No comments:

Post a Comment